Board of Supervisors

How do I search for Board of Supervisor meeting minutes?

Supervisor Minute Books are stored at the Chancery Clerk’s Office.
(They will soon be available on this website.)

Who is my Supervisor?

Contact the Board of Supervisors’ office for assistance in determining the district you live in and its Supervisor or you can also see map of districts to determine your district and Supervisor.

Car Tags

How do I estimate cost of my car tag?

Contact the Tax Collector’s Office with your automobile’s information. Tags may be purchased with Cash, Check, Money Order or Debit Card. Credit Cards are not accepted.

How do I renew my car tag?

Car tags can be renewed at the Tax Collector’s office. Tags may be purchased with Cash, Check, Money Order or Debit Card. Credit Cards are not accepted.

When I sell my car, do I keep the tag?

Yes. You may also be eligible for a credit against future taxes. If the tag has not expired, take the tag and your original receipt to the Tax Collector for a credit voucher.

Where do I get a car tag / license plate?

Car and truck tags are issued by the Tax Collector. You have 7 working days from the date of purchase to register your vehicle. New residents moving from another state have 30 days to obtain a new plate.  It is helpful to bring your automobile registration and/or title.  New residents from another county in Mississippi can wait until their next renewal to change plates. Tags are usually valid for a period of one year from the date they are issued.  


How do I get help for my child whose behavior is defiant and/or uncontrollable?

Contact the Holmes County Youth Court at:

Holmes County Courthouse
P.O. Box 151
Durant, MS 39063
(662) 653-3030

How do I file a civil suit?

Contact the Justice Court at (662) 834-4565, or you can come into the court, and pick up the necessary pleadings to complete and return with your filing fee.

How do I find our about a court date or request a hearing on a traffic citation or criminal charge?

Contact the Justice Court at (662) 834-4565 to establish a hearing date.

What if my license is suspended?

Contact the court for the proper amount you owe. Fines may be paid with Cash, Check, Money Order or Debit Card. Credit Cards are not accepted.

Holmes County Justice Court
P.O. Box 99
Lexington, MS 39095

or you can Pay Online

Justice Court Website:

Please include or send a self-addressed stamped envelope so that the court may mail you the necessary documentation you must present to your licensing state for reinstatement of your driving privileges.

How do I pay a traffic citation?

Contact the Justice Court at (662) 834-4565 to find the proper amount you owe.

Mail in your money order or cashier’s check, along with a copy of your citation, to:

Holmes County Justice Court
P.O. Box 99
Lexington, MS 39095

or you can Pay Online

Justice Court Website:

How do I ask questions about Jury Duty?

Call the Circuit Clerk’s Office at (662) 834-2476.

I have a question about jury duty, who do I contact?

Contact the Circuit Clerk's office at 662-834-2476.

Where is the courthouse located?

The courthouse is located at:

Courthouse Square
Lexington MS 39095
Phone: 662-834-2508
Fax: 662-834-1872

Click here for map & directions.


How do I find out where to vote in an election?

Contact the Circuit Clerk's office at 662-834-2476.

How do I qualify as a candidate in an upcoming election?

Contact the Circuit Clerk's Office at 662-834-2476.

Where do I vote?

Call the Circuit Clerk’s office at 662-834-2476.

How do I vote absentee?

You can request a ballot up to 45 days in advance through the mail, or you can visit the Circuit Clerk's office.

How do I register to vote?

The minimum voting age is 18.  You must register at least 30 days prior to any election to be entitled to vote in that election.  In order to register, visit the Circuit Clerk's office.  It is helpful to know your 911 address and social security number.

Homestead Exemption

What do I do if I move from my homestead property?

 You need to come to the Tax Assessor's office and sign a "Request to Delete Homestead" form.

Do I have to refile for homestead every year?

No, unless any of the following apply to you:

  1. Change in ownership or occupancy of the home.
  2. Purchase of additional property that may be eligible.
  3. Divorced or deceased spouse.
  4. Either owner had 65th birthday in previous year.
  5. Either owner became totally disabled in previous year.

Contact the Tax Assessor’s office at 662-834-2865.

What is the deadline for applying for homestead exemption?

April 1st of the year AFTER you move into your home

How do I apply for the special or over 65 homestead exemption and who qualifies?

The special or over 65 exemption is for homeowners who became dis-able or turned 65 years old during the prior year.  It exempts the first 75,000 of true value from taxation.  Contact the Tax Assessor’s office at 662-834-2865 for more detail information. 

How do I file for homestead exemption?

Applications are taken January 2nd (or first work day of New Year) through April 1st, Main Floor, Holmes County Courthouse, 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.

Land Records

Are land records open to the public?

Yes, land records are available for public inspection from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

What if a check for recording fees is not correct?

If a check for recording fees is short, the document will be returned with a request for the proper filing fee.

If the check for recording is over by $1 to $25, the document will be recorded and the excess deposited into the Chancery Clerk’s Office Fee Account.  Refunds are mailed at the end of each month.

How do I search Land Records?

Contact the Chancery Clerk's office at 662-834-2508.

What does the Clerk’s Office accept in payment of recording fees?

The Clerk’s office accepts:

  • Cash
  • Checks made payable to Holmes County Chancery Clerk
  • Money orders.

When is my document recorded?

Documents are recorded at the time we receive them.  They are available for viewing by the public the next day.

What are the requirements that must be met for a document to be recorded?

There are different requirements depending on the type of document, so they cannot be listed here.

It is the responsibility of the person offering the document for recording to make sure (1) that the document is original, (2) that it is signed and that the signatures are properly acknowledged before a notary public, (3) that the document is a complete writing and contains the required information, (4) that is accompanied by the proper fees, and (5) that is accompanied by a stamped self-addressed envelope so that it can be returned to the party offering it for recordation.

The Clerk’s staff cannot give legal advice.  Those seeking to record a document in the Clerk’s office are encouraged to obtain the advice of a professional.

How do I obtain copies?

Fees for copies made by the public are $.25 per page. The fee for copies made by our staff is $.50 per page. There is an additional fee for certifying a copy of a document.

Requests for copies sent by mail must be accompanied by check or money order covering the cost of the copies and a stamped self-addressed envelope.  The request should reasonably identify the document to be copied.  Checks should be made payable to the Holmes County Chancery Clerk.

Does the Clerk’s Office have blank forms for land records related to documents?


What are Land Records?

Land records refer to those record series that may involve real estate.  These include documents traditionally recorded in Deeds Books and Plat Cabinets, such as Deeds, Deed of Trust, Authorities to Cancel, Plats, Name Change Orders, and many other documents.  The Land Records Division also dockets and indexes Judgments and files certain Uniform Commercial Code transactions that are a lien on real estate.

Marriage and Divorce Records

How do I get a copy of my divorce record?

Contact the Chancery Clerk's office at 662-834-2508.

How do I obtain a marriage license?

The Circuit Clerk's office issues marriage licenses.  You must bring a picture id (drivers license or birth certificate), and if you are under 21, you must obtain your parent's signature on the registration form. 


How do I obtain a passport?

The Holmes County Chancery Clerk’s Office no longer handles passports.

Visit for detailed information regarding applying for a passport and international travel. Where you apply for a passport depends on when you need your U.S. passport. Go to the Where to Apply page at to determine where you apply based on when the passport is needed.


Permits and Zoning

Do I need a license or a permit to open a business?

Yes. If the business is located inside the city limits, a license will be issued by the city. If the business is outside of the city limits and inside the county, the county Tax Collector will issue your license.


How do I find out information concerning Tax Exemptions, Industrial Land Requirements and/or Contacts for Holmes County Industries?

Contact the County Administrator’s Office at 662-834-0911.

How do I look at my parcel’s location?

How do I estimate my land taxes?

Click here for the tax estimate calculator.

How do I pay my delinquent taxes?

At the Chancery Clerk’s Office via cash, money order, or check. Contact the Chancery Clerk's office at 662-834-2508.

How do I pay my current land taxes?

Contact the Tax Collector’s Office at 662-834-2865. Taxes may be paid with Cash, Check, Money Order or Debit Card. Credit Cards are not accepted.


How do I dispose of old appliances and furniture?

At a Road Department drop-off site – Coming soon.

How do I report road hazards?

Contact the Supervisor for the district in which the road hazard or repair is needed.

Supervisory District Map

How do I have my power restored?

Contact the utility that provides the service:

1-800-ENTERGY (1-800-368-3749)

(662) 453-6352

(662) 746-4251

(662) 653-3314
(662) 653-6846 (after hours)

How do I get a copy of my DD214?

How do I obtain a 911 address?

911 addresses are assigned through the  E-911 Addressing Office at 662-235-5126.  It is helpful to know your nearest street's name and your nearest neighbors.